Re: RFC: re-enable auto loading of floppy driver when the PNP info says there is a floppy

Hi,

On 04/13/2010 03:59 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:27:53AM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>
>> Here are my numbers:
>> Asus M2N SLI deluxe: PNP0700 disappears
>> Abit KV8 Pro:        PNP0700 disappears (*)
>> Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA:  PNP0700 disappears
>> Compaq Evo N600C:    PNP0700 disappears
>> Dell Latitude E6400: no floppy config possible, laptop, no PNP0700
>> MSI Wind u100:       no floppy config possible, laptop, no PNP0700
>>
>> *) After setting floppy controller to disabled in a separate config screen,
>>      simply setting the attached floppy type to None does not work.
>
> So of the machines you tested that have a floppy controller, 25% are
> buggy in the way that Kyle described.

Erm, no, they are not buggy the BIOS authors have simply chosen to add
a separate config option for disabling the floppy controller, rather then
automatically doing so when the floppy type is set to None.

One more data point:
Fujitsu S26361-D2831: PNP0700 disappears (*)

Yes (*), same thing as with the Abit board.

Anyways as I see it 100% of the 7 machines I've tested allow the user
to disable the auto loading of the floppy driver by properly configuring
the BIOS.

I must say I'm a bit disappointed that everyone else who seems to have
an opinion on this has not taken the 5 minutes / machine to provide us
with more data points :|

 > That's a pretty compelling
> argument against assuming that PNP0700 indicates the presence of a
> floppy drive.

It indicates the presence of a floppy drive controller. And if that is
present we should load the driver for it, at least that would be the
consistent thing to do as that is how we handle all other hardware.

I still don't understand this whole discussion it seems pretty
clear cut to me:

1) We are currently shipping a non upstream patch,
    with no intention of taking it upstream (clear violation of Fedora
    kernel policies last time I checked).

2) This causes peoples hardware to not work out of the box (regression!)

3) This is done so that people who have not configured their system
    properly do not suffer a boot delay (nothing more).

Note I don't care much personally as I very seldom use floppies and I'm
technically capable of fixing this. But this does not make us look good
wrt userfriendlyness, ie this is certainly not something I can explain
to my mother in law who is using Fedora and still uses floppies.

Regards,

Hans