Re: kmods poll

Josh Boyer wrote:
I'd like to just do a brief poll here just to see how many are yay or
nay for kmods.  And I'm not talking about their current implementation
or the other various ways that the idea can be accomplished, but rather
on the idea of having kernel modules as separate packages in general.

If you're against the general idea and want to follow up with reasons
why that's fine.  I just want to avoid implementation discussions at the
moment if possible.

I'm not sure where I stand, on one hand I would love to see something like the UVC driver to be in a kmod until merged upstream, to add support for recent webcams.

OTOH, maintaining kmods and especially keeping the repo depsolving 100% with them may be a pain.

I think that atleast we need a rule that if it isn't heading upstream, there need to be real good reasons to have it in Fedora, if it is heading upstream I think providing a kmod for a while as a service might be a good idea.

Does anyone know for example why the lirc kernel module has never gone upstream?

Regards,

Hans