Crazy idea

Hi all,

Reading the thread about adding support to the kernel spec file to build a vanilla kernel, I had this crazy (really crazy) idea:

Wouldn't it be great to share one kernel package or atleast one kernel source (as in pristine source + patches) between different distro's?

The kernel is a _very_ important and complicated piece of software, which requires many many eyes, I'm sure that many kernel bugs are hitting more then one distro, and some are fixed with distro specific patches in one distro, but not in the next.

So in an ideal word all distro's would have one kernel with a team made of the current maintainers from all distros working on it. I know this is impossible taking the different rate of changes between distro's but maybe ubuntu + suse? + Fedora could use a common kernel source?

I know this is a really long shot, but if we could pull it off it would be really great.

As said a really crazy (as in probably undoable) idea. So if not this, then what can be done to work better together on the kernel side of distro's, maybe a distro-kernel-maintainers-list@xxxxxxxxxx?

And maybe also a common bugzilla?

Call me crazy but I think a lot could be gained here.

Regards,

Hans