Re: How to specify desktop location from the command line?

On Tue, 2024-02-20 at 17:02 +0000, José Abílio Matos wrote:
> On Monday, 19 February 2024 10.32.23 WET Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > No, I'd rather there was a policy of requiring man pages, along
> > with
> > the other policies regarding what is accepted in Fedora.
>

> I my humble opinion man pages are the wrong answer for the right
> problem.
>

> That is why more and more packages, in this case command line
> interface
> programs, use inline help. There are several programs where you get
> help with
> the --help but there is no man page. Another challenge is to need to
> make into
> sync between both formats.
>

> Man pages are not portable across different operating systems, they
> come from
> unix tradition, they suffer from several idiosyncratic, pardon
> historical,
> choices. They do not have hyper-link capabilities and so on.

I strongly disagree with this. In what sense are text files "not
portable"? Why should it be a requirement for a system to be online
before you can read the documentation? Why does reading the docs imply
you have to use a GUI and pointing device? All of these things have
their place, but IMHO it's of great benefit that everything the user
can see or touch to have at least high-level documentation of what it
does, with instructions on how to go deeper, available in even the most
basic interface and locally searchable (inline '--help' options are not
a substitute). That's not the case with a significant number of KDE
apps (and others of course, but that's by the by).

poc