Re: Dolphin ignores umask

Am Sonntag, 9. Januar 2022, 22:49:54 CET schrieb Martin:

> Am Montag, 27. Dezember 2021, 17:01:00 CET schrieb Neal Gompa:

> Ah, I don't think that is a bug. I had the same issue, but not only for

> dolphin, but all KDE apps (like kid3 etc.). So I stressed google up an down

> and finally found the reason for it: KDE is started since some fedora

> versions via systemd --user part. And this systemd does not inherit parents

> umasks but sets it to 0022 by default - unless it is told to do otherwise.

> This can be done in the systemd units via UMask setting or via pam_umask in

> the pam config files.

> simple add "session optional pam_umask.so usergroups" to the

> /etc/pam.d/system-auth file, reboot and login again - and dolphin should

> create files as requested (at least id did for me during some short tests).

I digged a little bit deeper and the entry in the system-auth file is a solution, but not the fedora way of configuring - al least not completely.

My system is a very old one (about eight years) and upgraded over several fedora versions. The pam system was originally configured by a tool called authconfig (which changes system-auth and some other pam files). This tool is no longer available in fedora 35 and seems to be replaced by another tool called authselect.

If you don't plan to use authselect changing the system-auth file is fine. If you plan to use it, this system-auth pam file will be overwritten. The umask part will work nevertheless, as authselect uses the pam file postlogin for the pam_umask.so part (you have to configure UMASK in /etc/login.defs for using the default pam_umask module).

try "authselect test sssd" and check the output to see which files will be changed/replaced with which content. I am currently investigation these changes and will test if this fits my needs. If yes, i have a clean system and can update my pam system without any hassle.

Regards

Martin