Re: Compose key stopped working

On 7/23/21 11:53 AM, Emmett Culley wrote:
On Fri, 2021-07-23 at 10:15 -0700, Emmett Culley wrote:
I have the compose key set to Scroll lock, but is seems to  ignored.
I've tried setting a different compose key, but that did not work
either.

If I type Compose o o I expected a degree symbol to get printed, but
instead all I see in oo

Nothing I've found on on Google tells me anything I haven't already
tried.

window manager = sddm (X11)
KDE on Fedora 34 fully updated.

Check System Settings->Input Devices->Keyboard and open the Advanced
tab to make sure the Compose key is correctly set.

poc

It is, and I've tried setting to something else, then back again, and neither setting worked.  BTW, this is new since my upgrade to Fedora 34 a few days ago.

I see there are some new updates that might effect this, so I'll updatefedora again and see what happen.

Thanks.

Emmett
I updated my system and it didn't make any difference.  But I did see something that is different and may be related.

I see now, in Fedora 34, that pressing ctl-alt-f2 does nothing, but pressing ctl-atl-f1 gives me the "Starting User Manager for User ID 1000" terminal screen.

I am running X11 by selecting that in the log in screen.

I the past, <= Fedora 33, pressing ctl-alt-f2 provided a system terminal screen that I could log into.  Now that only happens if I press ctl-alt-f3 or f4, etc.

But when I start with wayland instead of x11, ctl-alt-f2 gives a blank screen that takes no input and ctl-alt-f3, f4, etc. goes to a system terminal, and no "Starting User Manager for User ID 1000" terminal screen shows for any ctl-alt-f* key.  Pressing ctl-atl-f1 does nothing, as expected, as it is the plasma session under wayland.

I only think this may be related to what I am seeing with the compose key because the keyboard shortcut for yakuake and other apps don't work either.  Seems keyboard shortcut events are not getting to some apps.  Could it be that yakauke and other apps are not getting keyboard press events because of the change in what session KDE is started in X11?

Note that while in wayland, keyboard short cuts don't seem to work either, but the compose key does.

Note that when I logged out from the wayland session after doing above tests,and selected to log into X11 session, plasma is then broken.  The desktop context menu is broken and apps won't paint fully when started from the desktop or from the system menu.  If I wait long enough it finally paints and seems to work as expected. If you try to close such an app while it's "waiting to paint", it gets stuck and I eventually see the terminate or wait dialog.  Dolphin specifically acts like this, and brave and chrome seem fine.   I didn't test any others

Sigh.  I guess I need to report a bug.

Except for the compose key not working and yakauke not opening from a keyboard short cut, all seems well upon reboot and logging directly into plasma with X11.  So far.

Emmett