Re: Problems after upgrade to Fedora-34

On Wed, 2021-06-30 at 18:49 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2021-06-30 at 08:23 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
   A recent upgrade from Fedora-33 to Fedora-34 has introduced these problems:
 * Dragging a window icon in the pager from one desktop to another no
   longer moves the related window from that desktop to the other.
   (Or possibly there is some option that needs to be set?)
Cured by change to Xorg.
 * The new system to select which desktop to move a window between
   desktops to is not a good one.  To move a window one has to select
   Top-Decoration->Desktops and tick the (additional) desktop that the
   window should be on, then do this again to untick the current
   desktop.
Cured by change to Xorg.
 * If Firefox is quitted and then restarted, it no longer restores its
   windows to the desktops that they were on before it was quitted.
Untested.
 * Discover no longer gives much info about packages being upgraded.
    For my current upgrade it simply reports "System Upgrade / 62
   packages to upgrade".  This is not useful in getting info about
   unfamiliar packages or finding out whether a reboot is desirable.
Not applicable.
 * Some .jpg files are not previewed on the Desktop.  I have no idea
   about why some are previewed and others are not.
Persists after change to Xorg.

Platform: Fedora-34
KDE Plasma: 5.22.2
KDE Framework: 5.83.0
Graphics: Wayland

Most if not all these issues are related to Wayland (other than
Discover, which is something else). Try KDE under Xorg.

Not so easy to do.  The login screen allows a choice between Wayland and Xorg; but the change is not sticky.   The only instructions I can find on the web are for Gnome and require editing a file /etc/gdm/custom.conf that does not exist on my system; in fact there is no directory /etc/gdm/ .

Various problems are cured; others persist.  See my comments above.

--
Sincerely Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh@xxxxxxxxxxx>

	Institutionalised language ... shakes the very
	foundations of freedom and democracy.  It is the
	language of death...
	-- Adonis