Re: KDE EPEL8 module plan

Troy Dawson wrote:
> * If we build a kde module, and it is not labeled "default", unless
> you enable that module, you won't get those libraries.  You are making
> it sound like if we make a module, we wipe out RHEL8's qt5 libraries.
> It won't.  So if a third-party builds against those, then their
> packages still work.

But they may be incompatible with your KDE module. (Or they may not, thanks
to Qt's backwards binary compatibility. But there is the possibility of such
an incompatibility, so that is what I am warning about.)

Please note that it is not my intent to force you to do anything. The one
who does the work decides. I am just making suggestions and warning about
the possible implications of some decisions.

(In Fedora proper, I would rather not see any modules at all, but EPEL is a
different story because RHEL 8 itself relies a lot on Modularity. So in the
end, it is a decision the EPEL packagers (which I am not) have to make on a
case by case basis.)

        Kevin Kofler