Re: KDE EPEL8 module plan

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 5:39 PM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Troy Dawson wrote:
> > The biggest reason for building it as a module is the qt5 packages in
> > RHEL8. If RHEL8 didn't have any of those, then I would completely agree
> > with you.
>
> To be honest, I am not convinced that replacing RHEL's Qt 5 (and making that
> a requirement for the KDE software stack) is a good idea. It will break at
> least some Qt applications in RHEL itself (unless the module rebuilds them
> too) and some third-party ones (and you cannot rebuild those). While Qt is
> backwards-compatible in principle (so you can often get away with just
> upgrading it), please be warned that everything relying on private APIs WILL
> break if not rebuilt (and there is a bunch of offenders there,
> unfortunately), and some other applications might break due to behavior
> changes. (Looking at what rebuilds get bundled with Fedora Qt upgrades may
> give you a hint at affected packages. But of course it won't include
> anything proprietary or otherwise third-party.)
>
> I think it may be better to stick to whatever can be built with RHEL's Qt
> 5.11.x and the EPEL QtWebEngine 5.12.x that I helped you build. Upgrading to
> QtWebEngine 5.12.x LTS security releases should be safely possible. (Please
> do that!) For RHEL stuff, let RH deal with security. Hopefully, they will
> eventually include a newer Qt in an update release.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Just a few things to keep things in perspective.

* If we build a kde module, and it is not labeled "default", unless
you enable that module, you won't get those libraries.  You are making
it sound like if we make a module, we wipe out RHEL8's qt5 libraries.
It won't.  So if a third-party builds against those, then their
packages still work.

* There is nothing in RHEL8 that requires the qt5 libraries.  (And by
qt5 libraries, I mean all the qt5 packages in RHEL8, not just qt5)

* It's nice to hope that RHEL8 will update qt5 to the LTS version.  Do
you have any bugzilla's that are asking for that?  If so, what is Red
Hat's response?
** History shows that they won't update it unless there is some real
reason.  Because, as you've stated above, it will break third party
packages.

* It's possible that someone can build a KDE desktop on regular
non-module EPEL8 ... AND ... we can have a KDE module that fully
tracks Fedora's version of KDE.  But that someone will not be me.
** I already have the initial work done in epel8-playground, so if
someone want's to do this they won't have to start from scratch.  But
if they do this, I suggest they trim down the list of packages from
300+ to something they feel they can support for 8 to 10 years.  I
think I went a little overboard when I created my list of KDE
packages.

Troy
p.s. I hope my tone with this doesn't sound angry, I'm not.  I'm just
trying to make sure people understand what the workload would be.