Re: System Upgrade (UEFI F29 --> F30)

Hello Peter,

I have read your email regarding the "roughness" of the release. I am sorry for your experience.

I started being active in Fedora testing before the 28 version and I took my part in this release as well. To be honest, I am a little bit surprised, because I do not have such experience. I am not a KDE user. I mainly use QTile or Fluxbox, depending on the machine, but in the testing scope, we did test KDE desktops and Fedora blocks on KDE related problems.

The test case covering your experience is probably this one: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_upgrade_dnf_current_kde. Upgrading KDE to the newest release is tested in an automated process for every compose. You can see the results of one of the latest test here: https://openqa.fedoraproject.org/tests/394319#step/upgrade_run/13.

We also test this manually, several times before the final version and we make sure, the upgrade works as flawlessly as possible.

The truth is that your setup is different. It is not common to use GDM for KDE, as it usually is shipped with SDDM. Therefore, I decided to have a manual test run myself to see, if there really is an issue or not. I did the following:

  1. I installed KDE Plasma desktop 29.
  2. I disabled SDDM and installed and enabled GDM.
  3. I rebooted my system and it successfully started using GDM. Then I installed some programs, and removed some others (such as texlive, inkscape, etc.) to make the system no fully standard.
  4. Then I updated to the latest system version for F29 using "dnf update --refresh".
  5. After the reboot, the system was all right, so I upgraded it using dnf upgrade plugin as described in the test case above.
  6. After it ran, I was upgraded to F30 without seeing any flaws and limitations.
  7. I repeated once more with the same result - it upgraded just fine.
The problem we are facing is, that we never have many different realy systems to test upgrades (once you upgrade, you lose that system) So, we test with clean installations of Fedoras that result in "clean" upgrades. However, it seems that your issue was caused by some user changes on your system.

You could try creating a clean new user and see, if the issue still prevailed. Maybe some logs might help to see, what is going on, because clean installations are clearly not affected. I would like to hear about any progress you will make here, because it can help others if they arrive into similar troubles.

You can also join us in beta testing for Fedora 31 and make sure that such things will not happen in the future again on your system.

Thanks for using Fedora.
Take care,
Lukas

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 11:48 AM Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2019-05-02 at 03:43 +0000, Peter G. wrote:
> I switched from GDM to SDDM. I rebooted and after Plymouth, there was just a black screen, not even a mouse. In fact, I couldn't even switch to another virtual terminal. I was starting to quake. I rebooted and switched to a vt before SDDM was to start and logged in, just in case, but I checked back on vt1 (or is it called vt0?) and SDDM did show up. Whew! I am now able to log in to both Xorg and Wayland Plasma sessions.
>
> Oh, and yes, the black screen after suspend/resume is repeatable, but that was when I was still using GDM. I haven't tried it with SDDM.
>
> My impression is that Fedora 30 is a rather rough release, not polished, as is typical for Fedora... but it is definitely usable.

Please remember that most of us are reading this via the mailing list,
not as an online forum, so kindly quote some context in your reply as
HyperKitty doesn't do this automatically.

poc

Lukáš Růžička

FEDORA QE, RHCE

Red Hat