Re: Slow, very slow switch user - Not plasmashell

On 17/02/2019 20:33, Syam wrote:
Hi

Are you also having a noticeably longer delay when logging in after a reboot? For me, first login has a significant delay (since the past few weeks), but unlocking desktop from SDDM screen is fast.
I'm not on NVidia. I'm on Intel.

Syam

    kde-leave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:kde-leave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

    https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

     >> I have 32G and a powerful machine as well but if I switch between
     >> users, I cannot type anything at all.   I will try the alt+F2
    and see
     >> if that works.
     >>
     >> I will watch memory and maybe try to restart plasma before
    trying to
     >> switch users.
     >>
     >> It is time related so a memory leak may be an issue.  Once I can
>> switch users, I can switch back and forth almost instantly. Give it
     >> time and the time to change gets longer and longer.
     >>
     >> I have restarted plasma in the past with the same commands as
    you used.

     >> I guess this means it points more to plasmashell than sddm or Xorg.
     >>
     >> Doing a search on plasmashell memory leak and there are many
    that have
     >> created cron jobs to restart their plasmashell on a regular basis.
     >>
     >> In my case, that may be a great idea.
     >>
     >> I just noticed that for KDE5.10 and above they now recommend
     >>    kquitapp5 plasmashell
     >>    kstart5 plasmashell
     >>
     >> I will start to monitor the memory usage with
     >>    top -b -n 1 |grep plasmashell
     >>
     >> Maybe create a script to log the data as well.
     >>
     >> Thanks.  I will watch this over the next couple of days.
     >>
     >> Also testing on a different computer.
     >>
     >> Robin
     >> _
     > I was hoping I was on to something from your suggestions.  It is not
     > plasmashell related.  I killed plasmashell before trying to
    switch users
     > and it still took a long time for sddm to display the password
    prompt.

     > The first account I restarted, the second account I had to use
    ALT+F2
     > and run kstart plasmashell as I had a blank screen.
     >
     > I have been reading on how to find memory leaks and will keep
    looking in
     > that direction.
     >
     > I may look at the kscreenlocker as well as sddm again.
     >
     > Robin

    FWIW, I found that using SysProf, I was able to confirm that it is not
    KDE but Xorg and I am suspecting the nVidia kernel driver related to
    ioctl.

    http://www.sysprof.com/

    Now to learn how to find what I need to submit a bug report.

    Thank you to those that responded.

I will have to check. I don't reboot that often but I will test the next time I do. Very busy now and the delay is cutting into my productivity in both waiting and for trying to trace the bug.

Finding that sysprof traces the actual program did help.

I tried today to leave the computer in a tty and then go to a X session with ctrl+alt+# and it took just as long. :(