Re: Slow, very slow switch user - Not plasmashell

On 09/02/2019 01:07, Robin Laing wrote:
On 06/02/2019 04:58, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 06.02.19 um 06:21 schrieb Robin Laing:
On one computer, switch user is slow to impossible to use.

sddm seems to cause Xorg to hang and I don't know how to debug it.

I have to ssh in from a different computer and kill all processes to get
into the computer again.  Keyboard is useless but mouse pointer moves.
Caps and numlock keys don't work either.

maybe it's the memory leak i am suffering for months if not years

my machine has 32GB RAM and 4x3.5 Ghz which is maybe the reason "ALT+F2
and type "restart-plasma.sh" is no problem while with less memory likely
everything takes ages

after some hours or intense work switch between applications takes ages
here and when restart plasma eveyrthing becomes smooth again

[harry@srv-rhsoft:~/downloads]$ cat /scripts/restart-plasma.sh
#!/usr/bin/dash
killall plasmashell
/usr/bin/plasmashell &

I have 32G and a powerful machine as well but if I switch between users, I cannot type anything at all.   I will try the alt+F2 and see if that works.

I will watch memory and maybe try to restart plasma before trying to switch users.

It is time related so a memory leak may be an issue.  Once I can switch users, I can switch back and forth almost instantly.  Give it time and the time to change gets longer and longer.

I have restarted plasma in the past with the same commands as you used.

I guess this means it points more to plasmashell than sddm or Xorg.

Doing a search on plasmashell memory leak and there are many that have created cron jobs to restart their plasmashell on a regular basis.

In my case, that may be a great idea.

I just noticed that for KDE5.10 and above they now recommend
   kquitapp5 plasmashell
   kstart5 plasmashell

I will start to monitor the memory usage with
   top -b -n 1 |grep plasmashell

Maybe create a script to log the data as well.

Thanks.  I will watch this over the next couple of days.

Also testing on a different computer.

Robin
_
I was hoping I was on to something from your suggestions. It is not plasmashell related. I killed plasmashell before trying to switch users and it still took a long time for sddm to display the password prompt.

The first account I restarted, the second account I had to use ALT+F2 and run kstart plasmashell as I had a blank screen.

I have been reading on how to find memory leaks and will keep looking in that direction.

I may look at the kscreenlocker as well as sddm again.

Robin