Re: Red Hat deprecates KDE on RHEL

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 10:21 PM Gerald Henriksen <ghenriks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 22:11:20 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >I suggest to this community that we have arrived at a crisis. In six
> >years, according to /The Register/, Red Hat Enterprise Linux /will not
> >support/ a KDE installation or maintenance.
>
> I would argue that this is a benefit to KDE on RHEL.
>
> The Desktop enviornment is really inherently unsuited to the long term
> unchanging RHEL (or LTS from others) where the changes year to year
> are simply too significant to allow a 4+ year old installation to
> remain relevant.

If it was unchanging in RHEL, I'd agree with you...

> By removing KDE from RHEL 8 this makes it easier for somone like the
> Fedora KDE group to provide KDE in a form that remains relevant
> through the lifecycle of RHEL 8.  Unless a company using RHEL really,
> really wants that Desktop support they may well find the KDE option
> (perhaps on a more corporate friendly 12 month cycle instead of the
> Fedora 6 month, who knows) to be a better option than the Gnome
> installation that will at some point become hopelessly out of date.

I would agree with you, except Red Hat has been rebasing GNOME every
other RHEL 7 point release (basically, once a year). As of RHEL 7.6,
the version of GNOME shipped in RHEL 7 is v3.28, which is what shipped
in Fedora 28...

They did actually give the same treatment to KDE (bump from 4.8 to
4.14). But, KDE SC 4 went EOL and Plasma 5 became the focus of the KDE
community in 2015, so that was the end of the line for RHEL 7.

I can't fault Red Hat for pulling out of KDE, since even I've had
trouble "keeping the faith" until Plasma 5.8, where it seemed like
things finally stopped breaking on each upgrade. I do wish that they
hadn't let go their KDE engineers over the last couple of years,
though. It was nice having Red Hat engineers care about KDE a little
bit...

However, we're in a great spot in Plasma 5 now, Providing KDE Plasma 5
in EPEL for EL7 may be possible if Red Hat rebases Qt 5 to 5.12 LTS
once it releases. As for EL8, we'll have to wait and see...