Re: Replace kwrite with kate

#LRD  wrote:
> In Fedora KDE is kwrite installed as default. For me it make more sence to
> install kate as default, because its much more powerful.

KWrite and Kate offer essentially the same functionality for editing a
document. (They use the same editor component, the KatePart.) What Kate does
in addition is the session management, which makes it half way between an
editor an an IDE (integrated development environment), whereas KWrite is a
traditional SDI (single document interface).

Kate's session system can be especially annoying in combination with file
associations: if you click on a file in the file manager or on the desktop,
should it open it in your existing session (what Kate normally does) or
start a new one? And then, if you want to permanently close a document, you
have to explicitly close it before closing Kate, or it will be remembered in
your default session and get reopened when you restart Kate.

So, for quickly opening a document, KWrite is the more intuitive interface.

        Kevin Kofler