Re: Changing the graphics

Klaus Kolle composed on 2018-01-21 15:44 (UTC+0100):

> My problem is that the display has 3840 x 2160 Pixels (1016 x 571 mm) in
> resolution - information from the kinfocentre.
> I was wondering if it was possible to set-up the graphics card to work
> with a HD like setting (or half the current possible number of pixels)

Note that 1920x1080 on a 3840x2160 display uses 1/4 of the available resolution,
not half. It may be possible to use something in between, such as 2560x1440,
depending on the capability of the display device.

> and still use the full display. If I set-up the display to HD size in
> the System Settings it only uses half the Display.

That sounds like some software component or config is broken.

> Do you know if that would be possible to change the basic settings of
> the graphics card? If so, where should I look for configuration options?

With Intel gfx, Xorg will normally use whatever video mode is included on the
kernel cmdline. If you use the e key in the Grub menu to add

	video=1920x1080

Xorg should use that mode. If you like it, reconfigure /etc/default/grub to
include it always.

Using modelines in xorg.conf* has never been necessary for me. I simply use
PreferredMode, which is a much simpler use of xorg.conf*. Xorg is smart enough
to generate modelines on its own when HorizSync and VertRefresh are provided
either through EDID or xorg.conf*. It has become rather rather for EDID not to
provide this basic information. IOW, CVT is built into Xorg. The kernel cmdline
approach makes configuration using xorg.conf* unnecessary, though possibly
preferable for other reasons. Using xrandr in a startup script is yet another
option I (most) often use. Xrandr can set both mode and DPI (among other things)
with the same instance.

Yet another method of controlling GTK (and other) apps is forcing DPI. In Plasma
this can be done in desktop font settings. Forcing DPI in systemsettings
actually sets the XRDB variable Xft.dpi, which is GTK's scaling "knob". Xft.dpi
can be set globally in various places, e.g. /etc/X11/Xresources, making it apply
regardless of X session type.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/