Re: KDE mounted USB stick, cannot copy files to.

On 17/11/17 23:33, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 11/18/17 13:41, Robin Laing wrote:
On 17/11/17 18:50, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 11/18/17 09:16, Robin Laing wrote:
Just updated my F26 and went to copy some files to a stick for transfer.  If I try
to copy a file either with drag and drop or using Konsole and cp, the system will
not copy the full file and will just freeze.  I tried different sticks on the
system with no luck.

I have tested with the same results on two different computers with different
sticks.

It looks like I can copy small files but large files won't work.  Even if I try
copy files using sudo, it still does the same thing, using 3 or 4 processors to
100% and the copy process hangs.

I can mount the stick manually using sudo and copy files with no issue.

Mount differences are:

This is what mount shows when I use the KDE desktop
/dev/sdc1 on /run/media/user/MyStick type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1100,gid=1100,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,flush,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)

Mounting by sudo
/dev/sdc1 on /mnt/temp type vfat
(rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

ps shows that the process is waiting for the drive with a D+ in the status.  It
will do this for an hour if I leave it.

I don't know where to start looking to report a bug to provide more details for the
bug report.

First, can you define "large"?  I just transferred a 1GB file to mine without
trouble.

When I plug in a USB drive and select "Open with File Manager" mount shows...

/dev/sdg1 on /run/media/egreshko/0E3723CF5E376877 type fuseblk
(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks2)

I think the differences may be due to my formatting the drive partition as ntfs.   Is
there a chance you could use that instead of vfat?

NTFS is not an option.  I don't know how many sticks you purchase that are already
formatted with NTFS and work on old and new windows.  How many cameras do you know
that work with NTFS cards.  I have to test some cards later when time permits.

Ahh, OK.  I suppose it would have been sufficient to just say you can't use NTFS for
your case.

I am talking 400MB and above with my few tests.  Same sticks when manually mounted
work okay.

OK.  I found an old, cheap, USB stick that had nothing of value on it and it is
already formatted as vfat.  Inserting it gives me

/dev/sdg1 on /run/media/egreshko/EB65-B61D type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1029,gid=65539,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,flush,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)

I copied, via D&D in Dolphin, a 702MB mp4 file without difficulty.  Forgot to check
my watch to see how long it took so I ran it again with time and this was the
result.  The source file is on an NFS mounted partition so that may have affected the
speed.  As I said, it is an old stick of unknown manufacture and doesn't have any
speed markings on it.

real    5m24.971s
user    0m0.003s
sys     0m1.713s

I wonder why the system shows that it is waiting for the drive which points me to a
communication issue between the USB sub system and KDE.

Sorry, I don't know.  But if the transfer also fails to complete using "cp" from the
command line it sounds not related to KDE but more kernelish.

I still want to know what sub-systems I need to watch to find out how to report
this.  I have a bunch of work to do and if this is a continuing issue, it will cost
me in lost productivity.

Funny thing happened when I tried to transfer a file with File Manager. ls -l
showed the whole file transferred in less than 1 sec, even though it was a 700MB
file.  Even the status graph was full before I could open the widget.  Then the
hang.  Full file was never transferred.

To me this is a critical bug.

I'm sure it is.  Unfortunately I've been unable to duplicate and am therefore of
little help.

Thanks for trying.

I tried this on two machines yesterday. Three different sticks. All the same results.

If I mount with the KDE system, then I have issues. If I mount manually I don't which is the confusing part and why I don't think it is related to the kernel but interface between the two.

That is why I tried to use the copy paste feature of the File Manager as a test. Instant indication that the file had transferred. As soon as I could start the copy and paste, I did an ls -l on the stick and according to that, the full file had been transferred but things were stuck.

That indicator on the panel when I looked showed 100% as well. I wanted to see what the indicator showed.

If I get time today, I want to try some things on a machine that has not been updated (it is not used much) to see if there is a difference in the mount options or something else.

I will also try strace on the cp command.

Robin