Re: Proposal for the future - (was: KDE SIG QA help needed)

On Friday, 7 July 2017 14:29:07 CEST Steven Haigh wrote:
> On Friday, 7 July 2017 4:25:54 AM AEST Matthew Miller wrote:
> > Hey everyone. We're going to have a hard time keeping KDE a
> > release-blocking spin if the QA team doesn't get more active help from KDE
> > SIG folks.
>
> With the recent discussion about lack of testing etc and the state of the
> KDE live boot, I would like to propose a set of changes to simplify the
> live image as we start thinking about F27.
>
> The idea is to strip the current bloat to give a more manageable Live Image
> - while keeping in mind that after you install to HDD, you can install any
> package you like.
>
> Proposal #1:
> We currently ship 3 browsers in the Live image:
> 	* Firefox
> 	* Konqueror
> 	* Qupzilla
>
> I propose that we strip all out except Konqueror. IMHO, Konqueror is the KDE
> browser - and should feature on the KDE Spin live image. It allows us to
> keep a simple target of *ONE* working browser that has to meet the blocker
> requirements.

I'm not goin to touch this for now, but:

> Proposal #2:
> We currently ship 2 'package managers' (3 if you count PackageKit).
>
> I propose we drop kde-discover - and keep dnfdragora (and PackageKit) in the
> live image.
>
> Proposal #3:
> We currently ship 3 image programs in the live image. Okular & Gwenview as
> viewers, Kolourpaint as an editor.
>
> I propose we drop Gwenview and keep Okular and Kolourpaint in the image.

At most we should remove Kolourpaint, if any, but...

> On the same note, are there any other obvious duplication in functionality
> that we should look to streamline for the F27 release?
>
> We probably still need work on automated testing to at least meet the basics
> of the QA process - ie make sure at least all the apps launch - but I feel
> the streamline is more important to give us a better target.

The only thing that I agree is that we need more automation for the testing.
The main question here is: which applications are problematic and lead to
their testing to be at the end of the process?

--
Luigi