Sudden logout after updating KDE

This has happened to me frequently over the past year, but is difficult
to pin down. I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone else has seen
it. What happens is this:

1) I run "sudo dnf update".
2) The tracer plugin says I need to restart my session, usually because
some library has changed.
3) I log out (this often crashes kdeinit5).
4) I log in again. This takes longer than usual, giving the impression
that some stuff is still being cleaned up from the previous session.
5) I start working.
6) A minute or so later, I am suddenly thrown out and am back at the
login screen.
7) I log in again and everything is fine.

The journal shows several lines reading:

Attempted to re-run an already running session

These are associated with konsole and kdeinit5. Also yakuake which most
people probably don't have.

It's notable that a) this never happens if I've rebooted the system
between sessions, and b) it seems not to happen if I've delayed a few
minutes before logging in again, even without rebooting.

I haven't poked around further in the journal (too much information)
but I conjecture this may be related to a bad systemd recipe, where
some component is not waiting for a previous instance to terminate.

Any thoughts on what to look for?

poc