Re: State of package / update management in KDE

> Hi, folks. For QA purposes, I wanted to get some clarification on the
> current status of package management and updating on KDE.
>
> It seems that recently dnfdragora-gui was added to the KDE spin. This
> has at least one, obvious, unfortunate consequence: when booting KDE
> live, there's a completely out-of-place (because it's in full color,
> while every other KDE systray icon is in black-and-white) permanent
> 'notification' icon for 'dnfdragora-updater', which doesn't seem to be
> of any use in a live environment.
>
> Beyond this: what's the actual intended shape of package management and
> updates on KDE now? Is dnfdragora supposed to be responsible for all of
> it, or is...some other thing...supposed to handle updating, and
> dnfdragora is only supposed to be there for installing / removing?
>
> As a reminder, this release criterion is in effect at Beta:
>
> "The installed system must be able to download and install updates with
> the default graphical package manager in all release-blocking
> desktops."
>
> and this one at Final:
>
> "Release-blocking desktops must notify the user of available updates,
> but must not do so when running as a live image."
>
> So it'd be good to have the story here clear and be sure the criteria
> are met ASAP.
>
> Thanks!

I've now checked an installed system; it seems like *both* dnfdragora
and the previous update manager are checking for updates. I saw a '48
updates available' message pop up above the dnfdragora icon, and
there's also the 'up-arrow-in-a-circle' icon, with the tooltip:

Software Updates
You have 48 new updates

This probably isn't what's intended, is it?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey