Re: KDE4 , kdeplasma4 and kde4-workspace !

On Sex, 2016-10-21 at 05:43 +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Sex, 2016-10-21 at 05:06 +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > As you may know we made some packages to maintain kde4 in F23 [1]
> > and
> > [2] and now I prepare F24, but the more I dig, the more I am
> > convinced
> > that what I want is kde4-workspace, instead plasma5-workspace, the
> > rest
> > I use the system package. The short list of packages in my kde4
> > repo,
> > [1] 9, today I realize I can remove apper, because is the same of
> > the
> > system, so less one , 8 .
> > In kde-baseapps the only thing I need to do, is re-enable build of
> > folderview package, the rest I could use the packages in the
> > system,
> > 7
> > .
> > Now the strange thing is kde-workspace package is built in koji ,
> > is
> > not retired but doesn't appears in repos !.
> kde-workspace is there but almost with nothing just kdm.

I have my kde4-workspace with kdeplasma4-addons on Fedora 23 as my
desktop and I just installed this 7 packages:
apper.spec
kde-baseapps.spec
kde-print-manager.spec
kscreen.spec
colord-kde4.spec
kdeplasma4-addons.spec
kde-workspace.spec

I'm complete puzzled, plasma5 use kde-baseapps.spec ? my kde-
baseapps.spec is almost the same of Fedora proper and I don't change
any compile flag, I just add kde-plasma-folderview .

- kde-plasma-activitymanager from fedora proper works nicely ! .
- Fedora have drop a few kde-plasmas [4] but we can add it back .
- colord-kde4 is already independent of official colord-kde
- kdeplasma4-addons I hope also be independent. I haven't test it yet,
for now just have a bigger Epoc.
- Remains 3 packages, printer, kscreen, libkscreen is from Fedora
proper and kde-workspace.

And kde-workspace is the point, first IMO, it shouln'd be a choice
destroy kde-workspace and put plasma5 over, plasma5 should use another
locations, at least. I walked over commits in kde-worspace and I have a
dozen of changes to review (since Fedora decide move to plasma 5) until
master and I pretty convinced that I will also be able to install kde-
plasma4 on F24.

For F25 we don't have strigi , which seems o good organization, we may
move strigi to kde-plasma4 project ...

With some more work, I'm pretty convinced and working for that, we can
have plasma 4 and plasma 5 in same system ... , at least all packages

Thanks,

[4] https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/kde-plasma%2A/

> > In conclusion if plasma5 workspace can coexist with kde(4)-
> > workspace,
> > we could have the old "KDE4" in repos , and kde-workspace really
> > work
> > well .
> >

> > [1]
> > https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/sergiomb/kde4for23/packages/  ;