Re: KMail and Sendmail

Reindl Harald wrote:

>> Can I use sendmail with KMail on my Fedora-24/KDE laptop?
>> If so, how do I configure it?
>> IIRC, there used to be a Transport option where one could choose sendmail

> configure it to listen at 127.0.0.1:25 and just use smtp

Dear Reindl,

I should have thanked you some time ago,
as your solution (somewhat to my surprise) worked perfectly;
I have KMail working with sendmail on my Fedora-24/KDE laptop.

For anyone who wants this configuration with KMail,
I went to KMail=>Configure KMail=>Accounts=>Sending
and added an account "Sendmail" (which I made the default)
with Outgoing Mail Server: 127.0.0.1 .
On the Advanced tab I left the Port at 25 and Encryption: None.
On re-starting sendmail I found outgoing email re-enabled.

[I should say that I am on holiday in Italy,
and when I nominated my ISP here as outgoing server
my college in Ireland did not seem to be acceptable as a recipient.]

> while you are at it consider postfix which is way easier to configure
> and maintain

I'm actually running postfix + dovecot on my home servers,
but I like to keep the laptop setup as simple as possible,
and I haven't found postfix all that simple.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net