Re: firewall-config not functional [SOLVED]

On 06/14/2016 09:58 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 06/14/16 23:38, Emmett Culley wrote:
>> I first posted this to the Fedora list, it then devolved to a nice discussion on NetworkManager.  I now believe I should have posted it here first.
>>
>> -----
>>
>> I have a number of machines (hardware and VMs) running CentOS 7 and KDE.  In all cases firewall-config is not functional.
>>
>> First, the service check boxes are not functional.  When you click on one, it  don't change to "checked", and nothing changes on the firewall.  However you do see a "Changes applied" in the status bar at the bottom.
>>
>> Sometimes, if you go to permanent mode and attempt to edit a zone, the whole desktop locks up as soon as you click on the default target dropdown.  This only happened twice.
>>
>> When I run firewall-config from the command line I see the following:
>>
>> --------------------------
>>
>> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
>>
>> (firewall-config:5079): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_get_path_at_pos: assertion 'tree_view != NULL' failed
>>
>> --------------------------
>> with the second line repeating many times and often while attempting to interact with the GUI.
>>
>> We don't use NetworkManager except on laptops, and so do not install it.  Though we do install NetworkManager-glib, if only because some packages require it.
>>
>> After seeing a similar bug on the RHEL I also installed Netwg.orkManager-libnm, but that did not make a difference.  That RHEL bug also mentioned this problem only occurs on KDE, and not Gnome.  And we only install KDE when a GUI is required, or desired.
>>

> Well, I installed CentOS 7 and confirmed your observations.  I also installed GNOME and
> note that the gtk error messages you show also appear in GNOME.  I also note that if you
> change a service within KDE the actual change does take effect.  Verified this by
> switching to GNOME as well as issuing "iptables -L".
>
> So, the problem is simply the checkbox not appearing.
>
> This can be fixed by going to System Settings--->Common Appearance--->Application
> Appearance--->GTK+Appearance and changing the Widget style to Adwaita.

That certainly resolved the issue.  Once I made the configuration change noted above and started firewall-config I found that a few services were checked that were not supposed to be checked. I verified that they were indeed enabled in iptables.  I have no doubt that got checked when I was attempting to figure our what was going on.

Unchecking them did remove those rules from iptables, so I can once again configure server firewall rule using the GUI.  Now all there is to do is verify the rest of our server's firewall configuration.

Thanks!

Emmett