Re: kf5 for epel7 progress

John Pilkington wrote:

> On 15/04/16 19:33, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Rex Dieter wrote:
>>
>> KF5-related epel-7 updates:
>>
>>> dbusmenu-qt5 :
>>> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2016-c6830d3eb1
>>
>>> phonon-qt5 :
>>> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2016-8e9b956ff2
>>
>>> polkit-qt5-1 :
>>> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2016-83b0af5ec7
>>>
>>> kf5-5.21 :
>>> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2016-f057025262
>>
>> FYI, each of these has been in -testing almost a week now, and by epel
>> policy requires at least 2 weeks (or testing karma) to go into the stable
>> repository.
>>
>> Hint: each of these only requires one more +1 karma  :)
>

> Hi Rex:  I wasn't clear how this might affect me.  I have one SL7 box,
> and it's my main machine.  I showed yum the repo and it saw no
> conflicts, but it didn't look as if the packages would replace anything
> installed, so it seemed unlikely that they would be used, and I didn't
> go ahead.

Sorry, I may have assumed everyone knew what kf5 means exactly.  I suspect
you expected kf5 to be *plasma 5*, which is the new desktop environment
(based on kf5).

So allow me to explain, kde frameworks 5 are essentially runtime libraries
only, and the intent is to be installable on RHEL7 without replacing
anything.   KF5 being in epel7 is a prerequisite to building plasma5.  And,
since plasma5 *replaces* el7's kde4 desktop, it cannot be in epel7 (which
disallows replacement of core packages by policy).  Our intent is to provide
a el7 plasma5 copr repository at some point.

"KDE Frameworks are 70 addon libraries to Qt which provide a wide variety of
commonly needed functionality in mature, peer reviewed and well tested
libraries with friendly licensing terms..."

see also:
https://www.kde.org/announcements/kde-frameworks-5.21.0.php
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE_Frameworks_5

Does that help?