Re: Is this the most useless error message in KDE?

Rex Dieter wrote:

> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > Very occasionally, and for no reason I can think of, I get a pop-up
> > with this message:
> >
> > "Oops, it looks like a problem has ocurred in a component. The problem
> > has been reported."
> >
> > I assume it's from some part of KDE, mainly due to its appearance, but
> > apart from that, there is NO useful information:
> >
> > 1) Who is telling me this?
> > 2) What is the problem?
> > 3) What is the component?
> > 4) Who has it been reported to, and how?
> > 5) What can I do about it?
>
> 1.  abrt
>
> can't answer the other items
>
> -- Rex

Regarding the other items, have a look at the ABRT GUI,
which you can find in the KDE menu under

  System > Problem Reporting  (Icon with Exclamation Mark)

The tool shows a list of components that recently crashed
and for each of these, among other things
- Version : <component version>
- Reported: {yes, no}

For each crash, you can
- look at "Details" (detailed crash info)
- select "Report" to generate a bug report, after configuring the tool
  through the "ABRT configuration" menu entry
- select "Clear" to delete no longer needed crash info

Bug reporting via "Report" used to work for me (F22, some months ago),
but you may need to install debug packages in order to generate/submit
a complete bug report with stack trace etc.

IMO "Problem Reporting" is quite useful to get a quick overview of
the most recent crashes, but I'm not sure whether the ABRT reports
I submitted were ever looked at by anyone ...

Cheers,
- Fredy