Kmail, pop3, spam...

My ISP automatically tags suspected spam (often
incorrectly) and places the emails into a special
folder called 'junk'.

Years ago, all of these emails got downloaded along
with the rest of my mail and I used spamassassin
and/or filters to deal with it.

For some time (a couple of years?), these tagged
emails have no longer arrived with the rest of my
mail. I just presumed that I wasn't getting spam: I
must just be getting the hang of being very careful.

I was expecting a VERY important contract yesterday
that never showed up. This morning, I requested it
again. The sender said he sent it yesterday and I
should check my spam folder. I said that I don't have
one (Kmail doesn't come with a junk folder by
default), but I would check my ISP's webmail
interface. Sure enough, the document was there, but
tagged as spam and moved into the 'junk' folder.

Question: Why doesn't all of my mail get downloaded
into Kmail? Do I have to manually create a 'junk'
folder (ie., match the name of the folder of the ISP)
in order to get all of my mail? Or will spam (both
positive and false positive) always be skipped?

In the meantime, as I was so upset about the near loss
of the important document (and the thought of what
else might have vanished in the past couple of years),
I disabled the ISP's spam control altogether.