Re: html links from chrome and clipboard

On 11 February 2016 at 15:20, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-02-11 at 09:57 +0100, Fredy Neeser wrote:
>> Ed Greshko <ed.greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 11.02.2016 04:41:11:
>>
>> > If I highlight a link in firefox, in the URL bar (for lack of a
>> > better term), the link
>> > appears in the clipboard history and is accessible after other
>> > entries are made.
>> >
>> > However, if I do the same with chrome I don't see the text but a
>> > sort of image.  Later
>> > clicking on the entry results in nothing appearing when pasting
>> > into
>> > an email or konsole
>> > for example.
>> >
>> > I can't see a way to configure this to work.  Am I missing
>> > something?
>>
>> I don't use chrome, but I noted that after highlighting a link
>> as you described (and thus adding it to the clipboard), it can be
>> pasted anywhere by using the middle mouse button,
>> but not by using Ctrl-V.
>
> There are two different mechanisms at work:
>
> 1) The basic X Windows Cut Buffer facility wherein you highlight
> something and can then paste it using the middle button. This should
> work everywhere, i.e. AFAIK it's implemented directly by X and doesn't
> require cooperation from the app.

This isn't quite true. If I understand correctly applciations either
use the cut buffer or primary buffer for this. While the cut buffer is
held by the root window the primary buffer makes a request from the
application (in X primary buffer acts the same way as clipboard
buffer), which is why selecting from gedit and using middle button
paste only works while the source window is open, but selection from a
terminal can still be pasted after it is closed.

> 2) The Clipboard system which requires you to hit Ctrl-c (or Ctrl-X)
> and then Ctrl-V to paste. This is similar to what happens in Windows
> (and MacOS with the Command key instead of Ctrl). The app has to
> implement this itself.
>
> The two mechanisms are independent of each other, though I vaguely
> remember that some DEs may have a setting to unify them (in the sense
> that one buffer copies from the other).

Wayland appears to only maintain a single buffer.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk