Occasional Plasma restarts

Hi,

I'm running KDE Plasma 5.17.0 with F22. I use the open source 'radeon' video driver. I have compositing disabled and I use a solid color as my desktop background.

After some fiddling I've gotten it to where it's 99% usable, but every once in a while Plasma crashes. I've not noticed anything in particular that I might have done to trigger the crash. So far it's always restarted itself automatically, but it's slightly annoying to have to pause what I'm working on while I wait for Plasma to come back. ~/.xsession-errors doesn't have any obvious clues (the lack of timestamps doesn't help) and I don't know of anywhere else to look.

I have KDE5 set up with 2 activities. The first activity has 9 virtual desktops. I often switch between virtual desktops, usually successfully, but every once in a while Plasma will crash while I'm switching desktops. I also see crashes that don't involve switching desktops, such as after changing something in System Settings.

Do you have any suggestions of what I might do to troubleshoot and/or solve these crashes? Might I see improved stability if I upgraded to F23 or am I better off sticking with F22?

Thanks,
Dave
--
Dave Ulrick