Re: Stepping down from KDE SIG

Mark Haney wrote:
> The problem with this is that, with the new 'Editions' seems to push
> everyone into the 'Workstation' version.  Having fedup using the
> -nonproduct option (I think that's the option name) appears to the end
> user that RH/Fedora recommends going with the Gnome 'Workstation' version.
> I know I've thought that, and I'm an experienced Fedora Core/Fedora user
> since day 1.

There are also repeatedly people coming into the #fedora-kde chan
complaining about how they installed "Fedora Workstation" and were dismayed
that it did not include KDE Plasma (or even that KDE Plasma was not the
default!). The fact that Workstation is GNOME is not clearly communicated in
many places, and even if they read it, users also do not realize how
unfamiliar GNOME 3 looks and feels until they install and try it.

Thus, if the users were fully informed, the number of Workstation downloads
would be much lower. I also fear that hiding the other spins is only leading
to those users (who are disappointed by GNOME 3 after downloading Fedora
Workstation) outright switching to another distribution rather than another
spin. They will still show up in the download statistics (for Workstation),
but they will NOT be Fedora (nor GNOME) users.

        Kevin Kofler