konsole Chinese fonts issue

Encountered what I think is a strange issue......

Although I don't think this matters, it is on an F18 system.  The environment is UTF-8.  The cjkuni-ukai-fonts package is installed.  In the "system settings" the General Font is configured for UKai CN while the Fixed-Width is set for FreeMono.  Also, in konsole the font set in appearance is also FeeMono.

The odd thing is that when a file containing Simplified Chinese is either edited or cat'ed some of the characters are displayed in what is probably FreeMono while a few are displayed in UKai CN.

I suspect, but am not sure, that some glyphs are missing in FreeMono causing a fallback to UKai CN.  Is there a tool that can be used to display/check that glyphs exist for all characters?  I'm concerned, or think I should be, that whatever tool may be subject to the same "fall back" situation.

--
The only thing worse than a poorly asked question is a cryptic answer.