Re: Invisible .pdf files

Reindl Harald wrote:

>> I've recently downloaded two files from different sites,
>> using Firefox under Fedora-18/KDE .
>> (One was a Ubuntu tutorial from Lockergnome.)
>> In each case the file is immediately opened in acroread
>> (ie I don't start acroread).
>> In one case the name given in acroread was 13656_0_ .
>> I found this file is in /var/tmp/kdecache-tim/krun ,
>> though it is not shown by locate even after updatedb ,
>> and copied it to a more permanent position.
>>
>> But what puzzles me is: is this a deliberate feature
>> to semi-hide files for some reason?
>> Or has there been a recent change in Firefox or Acroread?
>> Or have I misunderstood in some way?

> it is up to you to configure how each mimetype is
> handeled in Firefox and if it is set to "open with
> application XYZ" it is intentional to only have a
> temporary file because you did not request a download
>
> that updatedb does not find files in /var/tmp and /tmp
> is also intentional and controlled by /etc/updatedb.conf

Thanks for the two bits of info.

I should have said that I have no problem opening a PDF file
http://*.pdf in Firefox, which starts up acroread,
so I guess my Firefox settings are fine.
The files that have puzzled me have all come
after clicking on "Download" in a web-site.
On downloading the file acroread starts up,
and reads the file without problem.
The filename never has the .pdf extension -
it always has a name like 13656_0_ .
The file is not saved in the folder I have nominated in Firefox;
but I guess you have explained why that is so.
This makes it a little awkward to find and copy it.

I don't really have a problem with this,
I'm just interested to know if it is the result
of something done by the download site,
and if so what the purpose is.

--
Timothy Murphy