Re: kde on sl6 - can't find it

On 06/04/13 23:45, John Pilkington wrote:
Hi: I've been using kde, now on f17 and sl6, for several years.

Last week, after what I remember, if at all, as a small update, the sl6
system wouldn't complete booting.  It couldn't find LogVol-lv_home.
Eventually I posted on the sl6 list and was told to reinstall lvm2 and
lvm2-libs.  I did, and after vgscan, lvscan, the reboot seemed ok.  I
don't know what had triggered removal of the lvm tools.

The next reboot would only return to the login screen, unless I selected
the Gnome worktop, when many things seem to work, but obviously the
familiar kde feel and tools are missing.

I can see the Xorg.log, in which uid 500 and gid 500 get disconnected.
Is that the problem?  Do I need to be in the >1000 domain now? And if
so, how? Gnome doesn't show me any User-management tools.

Most of the above was with the standard SL6.3/6.4 setup, but having no
success with that I tried kde-testing+unstable.  The installation looked
as if it went ok, but I'm still stuck with Gnome.

Of course, if I do get 4.10.2 working I would like MythTV as well.  That
had been doing fine, with an ATrpms-derived specfile building a newer
release than the latest on the ATrpms site, but I suspect that going
further is going to defeat me.

For now, I'd just like to get back to kde.

Suggestions please.

My apologies for being obscure. Scientific Linux. Yet Another RHEL6 Clone. So Rex's recent work should apply and I assumed that it would fit on the current list.

https://www.scientificlinux.org/

After putting this post together I thought I ought to retry, as root from tty2, vgscan, lvscan, reboot. It worked before, first time around. But this time still no kde. Last time it was 3.5, now 4.10.

vgscan found VolGroup

lvscan gave /dev/VolGroup/lv_root, /dev/VolGroup/lv_home and /dev/VolGroup/lv_swap, with correct sizes, and all with 'inherit'.

In contrast, the Gnome System Monitor finds these devices; their names match what I had earlier: /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root and so on.

So it looks as if I have two similar but not identical sets of device names. Any suggestions, on this or other tracks?

Thanks,

John P