Re: Fedora 16 KDE spin questions

On 01/11/2012 06:44 AM, Steve Greene wrote:

> Here are my questions:
>
> Question 1): In the "Get, Remove and Update Software" panel of system
> settings, I have one update that will not install, called
> rpmfusion-nonfree-release (version 16.1.1). Unless I uncheck it when
> other updates are needed, it will freeze up the entire update process.
> Thus, I wish to delete this update from the panel, but there is no
> option available to do so. How do I delete this malfunctioning update,
> and how do I prevent it from reloading the next time my system checks
> for updates? For that matter, how do I delete any future update I do
> not want to install? By the way, the in the description area below the
> rpmfusion update, it says: "The developer logs will be shown as no
> description is available for this update. **20110-11-02** Nicolas
> Chauvet -16.1.1 - Fix comat key for F-15 **2011-10-27** Nicolas
> Chauvet -16-1 - Add keys for Rawhide/F-17 -Build for F-16 *Could not
> parse header.* 'Thorsten Leemhuis -16.1' *expected*: 'Firstname
> Lastname -version release' Updates rpmfusion-nonfree-release - 14-2,
> Repository: rpmfusion-nonfree"

No need to delete it.  I believe you've run into a known issue...but I
don't have the bugzilla handy at the moment.  I think it is hanging due
to a need to download and install a gpg-key.

To verify/fix the issue.  In a terminal (konsole) run, as root, "yum
update".
> Question 2): I have a font I downloaded in my downloads folder. It was
> not readable by the Font Viewer program, stating: "Could not read
> font." Thus, I clicked to delete the font, but then I receive the
> message: "Could not delete file. The file or folder does not exist."
> If I right click properties, it still returns the file's attributes,
> but all else tells me the file is no longer in existence, therefore it
> cannot be deleted, moved, or renamed. How to I get rid of this
> nuisance?

Sounds like you are trying to "delete" it from the Font Viewer program.
I've not used that, but it sounds as if the "delete" is meaning to
delete an "installed" font but not the downloaded font file.

Simply delete the file from the command line in a terminal window
(konsole) or in the GUI, Dolphin.

> Question 3): I am a writer, and am halfway through my next book. I was
> using OpenOffice Writer with Fedora 12 with no issues. With Fedora 16
> KDE, when I issued an install order for yum regarding OpenOffice
> Writer, it defaulted to LibreOffice Writer, which apparently is the
> preferred app for this OS spin. In any event, to open my book file,
> which is only 1.5 MB of text (no graphics), it requires a full 5
> minutes to load into LibreOffice Writer. Is this normal??? When I
> launch my prior book, which is 9.0 MB of text only, it takes a
> whopping 21 minutes to load. These times are FAR in excess of the load
> times with OpenOffice Writer in Fedora 12. The computer has a 1.2 GHz
> Celeron processor with 1.5 GB of RAM, same as in Fedora 12. Is Fedora
> 16 using so much system resources that this sluggish load time is
> expected, If this is all normal, I can live with it, but it sure seems
> odd to me.

I don't believe what you are seeing should be considered "normal".   But
I don't have anything to add at this time.

I also don't have any input on the #4 question.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless