Re: kde-freezes while large USB copy

Am 20.11.2011 06:20, schrieb Darren Steven:
> I can explain this, as I see it too. Well, I can partially explain.
>
> It's caused by the kernel allocating large write buffers that can represent many minutes (or hours) of write time
> for a slow USB device. You copy that file from a higher performing storage device, and you end up with many GB
> buffered writes. KDE (or something in the UI render path) decides to stop while doing an fsync ( I'm not sure
> exactly what), and you need to wait for that to complete. Worst case for me was filling a class 4 micro SD with
> 32GB of music. My machine has 16GB of RAM, and a quite fast HDD, so it soon had a few GB queued, which drains at
> about 1MB/sec (due to some issues on the other end of the USB, with a similar root cause).

if you are right this is simply a dumb behavior since on a machone with
a quad-core CPU with HT and 16 GB memory there has NOTHING to wait and
destroy optimizings for VMware/RAID10 using every day to get les freezes
in the UI is not a solution

on a TTY there is no hang, no impact and so there goes something TERRIBLE
wrong what should be fixed somehow