Re: rsync causing disk sleeps and loss of apps

Am Sonntag, 30. Januar 2011 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Sunday 30 January 2011 15:44:33 Martin (KDE) wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 30. Januar 2011 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> >
> > Hallo Anne
> >
> > I am not sure I understood what you want to do. You want to sync
> > some directories in the background between two or more computers
> > without interaction?
>
> I want to run a backup of certain directories overnight, whether
> I'm logged in or not.

What about a real backup software like i.e. rdiff-backup (rsync like)
or others?

> > > I'm trying to get rsync to operate on a number of directories,
> > > but not in a mirror situation where I can easily use an
> > > existing app. I therefore wanted to set up a shell script
> > > which can be run over the network using keychain to provide
> > > the necessary passwords.  On a single box it works perfectly,
> > > but of course the network makes it more complicated.
> > >
> > > Part of the problem may be that I have followed too many
> > > how-tos, and set things up in a way that fight.  First, to get
> > > keychain correctly running -
> >
> > As I understand keychain correct it is a kind of ssh-agent right?
>
> Similar.  You provide your keys to the server, then when necessary
> keychain sends the public key, encrypted, for comparison.
>
> > > Keychain is set up in .bash_profile and works.  Then I read
> > > that if you are going to run a script with cron you need to
> > > eval keychain within your script as it works in its own
> > > restricted environment. This makes sense - but does that cause
> > > problems when I run tests in bash, since keychain is already
> > > running?
> >
> > cron does not run in a restricted environment but in his own one.
> > Many of those values usually set in your interactive bash shell
> > are not set or known.
> >
> > But using ssh in a cron job means either no password for the key
> > or a weak one as it has to be typed down somewhere.
>
> That's why keychain is used.  It passes the passwords, but in an
> encrypted form.

OK, I took a look in the net about keychain.

> > > What happens at the moment is that the script appears to start,
> > > but suddenly stops.  System Monitor shows disk sleep for all
> > > the rsync threads, and several kde applications are also
> > > affected, notibly kwrite etc and dolphin etc..
> >
> > what do you try to sync? Your kde config folder?
>
> No, certain folders from my laptop to various folders on a data
> partition on my server.  The folder structure is not the same as
> on the laptop, so a separate rsync statment has to be used for
> each section.

So I don't understand why this will prevent your kde-apps from
running. Do they use keychain as well (fish or similar)? may be the
keychain get brocken or "shutdown"?

I guess a rsync without ssh works as expected did it?

I do similar stuff for backup, but with rdiff-backup. but the problem
with the key will be the same.

> Anne

Martin