RFC: kde stability proposal (redux)

On 03/10/2010 04:44 AM, Roderick Johnstone wrote:

> What I think some people don't like is any change to the desktop or new
> bugs getting introduced with major new features. However Fedora is known
> and has as one of its underpinning principles to 'lead' rather than
> 'follow', so I'd hope that just being rather more explicit in the
> documentation (somewhere) about what the updates system for KDE is would
> go a very long way to resolve this issue. After all the KDE team are
> fantastically responsive to issues.

I don't necessarily disagree with this, or the other reservations about
the new proposal. But I would add that it would be helpful if people had
a better idea how they could "lock down" certain apps, or even if that
were possible. I.e., prevent certain things from upgrading. Allowing a
user to say, well, I'm just not going to upgrade KDE has to be a good
thing. Of course, you can do that now, but it is too complicated, and it
is too easy to mess up, get the upgrade, and then have to go through
some nightmarish process to roll it back.

Richard