KOffice downgrade?

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> they
> are still strongly against shipping in stable distro.

Here are my two cents on this issue and are, in general mostly invalid
because I am quite frankly unable to use koffice2 on my netbook because it
doesn't really 'play nice' on such a small screen.

Freedom, Friends, Features, First.

These are the project's foundations[1] and we should be striving to keep
with these goals at all time. Of course, both 'sides' of this debate could
take those goals and use them for their arguments.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundations

==Features==
"Features represents our commitment to excellence. The Fedora community
creates many of the technical features that have made Linux powerful,
flexible, and usable for a wide spectrum of  millions of users,
administrators, and developers worldwide. We recognize the status quo is
worth changing when the potential gain is to empower additional end-users,
or create a more flexible and powerful environment for building new
solutions on the free software we provide. We also believe that these
changes are best developed in direct concert with the  upstream software
communities whose work is part of the Fedora distribution. We work with the
upstream in cases where we find opportunities for improvement, so all free
software users benefit -- regardless of their distribution of choice. Our
feature development is always done openly and transparently, and anyone may
participate."

===Key points to take away===
*"We recognize the status quo is worth changing when the potential is to
empower additional end-users, or create a more flexible and powerful
environment"
*"We also believe that these changes are best developed in direct concert
with upstream software communities"

===Questions to ask===
*Will koffice2 create a more flexible and powerful environment?
**Koffice2.1b has a ton of new features and a framework for the future of
the application. It's more customisable and flexible already than 1.6 was if
not as stable.

*Will shipping koffice1.6 create a more flexible and powerful environment?
**We are shipping Qt3 and kdelibs3 if we chose to do this. This means there
is less room on our live cd for awesome applications. This makes it harder
for users who may not have the ability to install new software (no/slow
internet, etc)

*What will be better in the long run for upstream: Keeping the status quo to
lower the risk of creating a bad image, or work with them to provide bug
reports, fixes and feedback?
**This is for the steering committee to decide (even though it already has;
i guess I should have written this last week) We were one of the few distros
that shipped kde 4.0.2 for better or worse, along with OpenSuSE 11. KDE
4.0.2 was just as rough a cut, arguably, as Koffice2.1b is, if even a little
more raw. Personally, I believe that upstream would benefit more in this
case with Koffice2.1b, as it would give them, as I asked above, more bug
reports, fixes and feedback.

*What will be better for users in the long run?
**This is more contentious. On the one hand there is the now: What will help
the user out now? Koffice1.6 is more stable and 'better' in this respect --
you won't be halfway through your masters project when a Koffice bug munges
the entire thing. On the other hand, us helping out upstream in the long run
will be better for users of the software in the future because upstream will
be able to improve on the software more. No users == no ambition, but fixes
and improvement.

== First ==
"First represents our commitment to innovation. We are not content to let
others do all the heavy lifting on our behalf; we provide the latest in
stable and robust, useful, and powerful free software in our Fedora
distribution. An examination of the latest Fedora platform at any point in
time shows the future direction of the operating system as it is experienced
by everyone from the home desktop user to the enterprise business customer.
Our  rapid release cycle is a major enabling factor in our ability to
innovate. We recognize that there is also a place for long-term stability in
the Linux ecosystem, and that there are a variety of community-oriented and
business-oriented Linux distributions available to serve that need. However,
the Fedora Project's goal of advancing free software dictates that the
Fedora Project itself pursue a strategy that preserves the forward momentum
of our technical, collateral, and community-building progress. Fedora always
aims to provide the future, first."

=== Key points to take away ===
*First represents our commitment to innovation.
*we provide the latest in stable and robust, useful, and powerful free
software in our Fedora distribution.
*An examination of the latest Fedora platform at any point in time shows the
future direction of the operating system as it is experienced by everyone
from the home desktop user to the enterprise business customer.
*We recognize that there is also a place for long-term stability in the
Linux ecosystem, and that there are a variety of community-oriented and
business-oriented Linux distributions available to serve that need.
*need. However, the Fedora Project's goal of advancing free software
dictates that the Fedora Project itself pursue a strategy that preserves the
forward momentum of our technical, collateral, and community-building
progress. Fedora always aims to provide the future, first.
(I realize I basically posted that entire paragraph)

=== Questions to ask ===
*Do we follow First or not?

I realize that it's probably too late to change this decision, and i'm
basically just rambling off on a mediawiki formatted waste of your time
(sorry, i've been hacking on a wiki all afternoon), but I think that the
goals of Fedora sometimes may mean going against what upstream says is
correct for a 'stable' distro and will support both users and developers
better in the long term.

- --
Ryan Rix
(623)-826-0051

Please refrain from mailing me directly in replies, I am subsribing
via GMane NNTP. Thank you.

Fortune:
You will be recognized and honored as a community leader.

http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://identi.ca/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonaleash at gmail.com          | MSN: phrkonaleash at yahoo.com
AIM:  phrkonaleash                    | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC:  PhrkOnLsh at irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#teensonlinux,#plugaz and
      countless other FOSS channels.