Odd behaviour of Dolphin with pendrives

On Saturday 04 April 2009 05:03:53 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I don't use Dolphin much, being more of a command-line traditionalist,
> but recently I turned off the automatic Nautilus pop-up that would
> appear whenever I inserted a pendrive (I don't recall ever configuring
> it but it was just there). However the pop-up did have one useful
> feature, viz. that it showed me progress during slow copies of large
> files.
>
> Imagine my surprise when I tried to do the same with Dolphin.
>
> 1) No auto pop-up. This is probably a setting somewhere and hence my
> fault. For now I just click on the drive icon in the Kickoff menu,
> though a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

If you use the device notifier on the panel to mount it, you get a popup
showing your options, such as to open in dolphin, download pictures, etc.

> 2) While copying to the drive, if you have the "free space" indicator
> enabled it dutifully decrements as the file is copied. However the
> detailed folder display does *not* show the target file changing size
> unless you hit F5, i.e. Dolphin shows inconsistent information. This is
> teeth-grindingly ridiculous but not really a show-stopper.

Yes, definitely a bug, and mildly annoying, but no big deal once you realise
it.

> 3) On unmounting the drive (click on the drive icon and select "safely
> unmount") the pending writes are flushed and the drive is unmounted,
> *but the pop-up window doesn't go away*! Not only that, you can click on
> a file and the system will try to open it, followed shortly by an
> obscure error message when it fails. This is just absurd.

I tried your method of umounting, and it does seem buggy.  Umount from either
dolphin or the device notifier and you will find it works much better.

> I hate to say it, but Nautilus has Dolphin beat hands down in this
> respect (which is the only thing I really use it for).
>
> Am I missing something obvious or is this known/expected behaviour?

You might check whether the behaviour when umounting from kickoff has been
bugzilla'd.

There are lots of good things about dolphin that are not immediately evident,
though.  It's worth checking out
http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials#File_Management

Anne