Re: Lot of snapshots in AWS Sydney region

On 7/12/23 16:17, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> Dne 11. 07. 23 v 15:53 Dusty Mabe napsal(a):
>> Apologies for not responding sooner. Actually for some reason this is the first email I've seen
>> in the thread so maybe I need to check my spam filters. Either way, apologies.
>>
>> The reason you are seeing snapshots but no volumes is because these snapshots are used as backing
>> storage for AMIs. If the snapshot is still associated with an AMI AWS won't let you delete it.
>>
>> On the Fedora CoreOS side we need to implement garbage collection so that we delete all AMIs and
>> snapshots from our development streams. For our production streams we'll probably take a more
>> conservative approach to garbage collection, but we'll need to start garbage collecting those too.
>>
>> For Fedora Cloud, that working group will also need to look at their processes and implement garbage
>> collection too. It could either be a separate process or it could be working with you to set a
>> policy directly in AWS to clean up after some time.
>>
>> For Fedora CoreOS we'd like to implement the GC outside of AWS since we'd like to have the same GC
>> policy for all clouds we create resources in.
>
> Can you create issue for each of the case. So it does not get lost.

For Fedora CoreOS we have this issue to track: https://github.com/coreos/fedora-coreos-tracker/issues/99

For the cloud working group we'd need to reach out to them to see how they want to proceed.

>> Does this make sense?
>
> Sure. Do you expect this soonish? Or should I manually remove the old ones now?

If you say it's an issue then hopefully we can give this some priority and get to it soon.

Removing the "old ones" isn't that easy to do. Our production AMIs and development AMIs are all mixed together so it would be hard to come up with a criteria without implementing the garbage collection I linked to above.

Dusty