Re: rhel9 and /boot | /boot/efi

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 07:43:18PM -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 3:05 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Greetings everyone.
> >
> > I've been working on migrating things to rhel9 of late.
> > I reinstalled a staging virthost or two and found that while rhel8 would
> > allow /boot and /boot/efi to be on raid, rhel9 does not all this at all.
> >

> Fedora allows it; I am surprised that RHEL 9 does not, though fwupd is very
> unhappy with it. they made an assumption on how to identify the ESP that is
> broken by raid

Well, I figured out what happened. ;)

Many thanks to jsteffan for testing out in a vm and confirming that it
_should_ work.

I was reinstalling over a existing rhel8 install with /boot and
/boot/efi on mdraid. If you go to the installer and select those raid
devices and set the mount point and click 'reformat' it doesn't work.
It errors about ESP not being found.

The issue is that anaconda sees the /boot/efi is a vfat formated
partition, but it distinguishes it from a ESP partition. So, if you edit
it and tell anaconda that it's the ESP, it's fine and drives on.

Sorry for the false alarm here.

kevin