Re: rhel9 and /boot | /boot/efi

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 3:05 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greetings everyone.

I've been working on migrating things to rhel9 of late.
I reinstalled a staging virthost or two and found that while rhel8 would
allow /boot and /boot/efi to be on raid, rhel9 does not all this at all.

Fedora allows it; I am surprised that RHEL 9 does not, though fwupd is very unhappy with it. they made an assumption on how to identify the ESP that is broken by raid

Dennis

So, what do people do for this?

1. Just put /boot | /boot/efi on a primary partition on one disk and
hope that disk doesn't die.

2. Put them on one disk, but have duplicate partitions on the other raid
disks and some script that copies the 'primary' copies to the backups
when kernels are changed.

3. Something else more clever?

Whats best practice here? If 2 is the answer, does anyone have already
scripts to do this and tie into dnf for kernel updates?

I'd like to get this sorted out before moving any more bare metal hosts
over to rhel9 if possible.

Thanks,

kevin