Re: RHEL9 migration

On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 3:01 PM Stephen Smoogen <ssmoogen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Sept 2022 at 17:56, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Here's my thoughts on rhel9 upgrades.
>>
>> We have 188 RHEL7 or RHEL8 instances (counting both vm's and bare hardware).
>>

>> Some will just not move anytime soon:
>>

> Is it possible to look at these as 'why does this need fedmsg?' 'what happens if it doesn't have fedmsg', and  'do we need it?'
>
> mailman01 is one where maybe not having it on fedmsg wouldn't be earth shattering but it also has the bigger problem of all its libraries being FTBFS in Fedora and being retired from there. At which point we go with 'do we need to run mailing lists?'

The mailman stack is FTBFS on Fedora right now because of a single
library (python-aiosmtpd) not working properly because of changes in
the SSL module in Python 3.10. The whole stack can branch into RHEL 9
just fine.

>> busgateway - needs fedmsg, only in epel7
>> fedimg - needs fedmsg. will be replaced by some other solution
>> github2fedmsg - needs fedmsg, only in epel7
>> mailman01 - needs fedmsg
>> nuancer - needs fedmsg
>> osbs - needs new container build system
>> pdc - needs to be retired
>>
>> Finally, some I am not sure about and would like input:
>>
>> mbs - is this ready for rhel9? Should we move to Fedora instead?
>> odcs - how about this?
>>
>> So, as far as help goes, getting mirrormanager2 and pagure all in epel9 would be great...
>> coming up with a fedmsg-irc replacement, and getting limnoria in epel9 seem to be the best ways right now.
>> I can start on the easier reinstalls.

Getting Pagure and MM2 branched into EPEL 9 shouldn't be too bad,
hopefully. I did it the last go around for EPEL 8 with not too much
effort.