Re: infra-sig packaging group packages

On Sat, Jul 02, 2022 at 05:36:52PM -0500, Maxwell G wrote:
> On Saturday, July 2, 2022 2:51:02 PM CDT Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > * Are you a packager already (ie, in the packager group) and would like
> > to help us out by maintaining infra-sig packages? Let me know if so!
>
> I have been handling the ansible collections (besides ansible-collection-
> google-cloud) for a little while now. I'm happy to continue doing that. If you
> want to add me to the infra-sig, I can try to help out with bugs and updates
> when I have the time.

That would be awesome!

> Also, I remember that there was an issue with the fedora-messaging ansible
> callback plugin not working due to fedora-messaging not being packaged for
> python38 on EPEL 8. Is that still an issue? I could maybe (not promising :))
> help with that.

Well, yes and no. Currently the callback plugin doesn't work, but that
just means no fedora-messages for ansible playbook runs in
infrastructure. I am not sure anyone but me cared about them. In order
to make it work, I think we would need to make a complete pile of
fedora-messaging packages against python3.8. However, I'm thinking we
should just move batcave01 to rhel9 soon and that will make this not
matter (at least for a while, until ansible-core needs python3.12 or
something).

> > * Finally, I'd like to drop some packages that the sig currently
> > maintains. There's 68 packages that the infra-sig is admin on currently.
> > There's 222 packages infra-sig has commit on.
>
> I'm assuming the packages where Fedora Infra is the upstream (e.g. bodhi*)
> will be kept?

Yes. Many of those were also setup with packit to keep them updated,
which is nice.

> I opened up a couple random packages and noticed that mote, which is in the
> second list, was retired by @churchyard 2 years due to it FTI, but it still
> exists in epel7. I would suggest either going through the unretirement process
> or just completely retiring and then orphaning that package.

We just deployed a completely new version of mote.
We don't deploy it via rpms, and I don't know if there's any plans to
package it, but if there is, it could be re-added and use the mote rpm
package name.

> pam_url was
> orphaned two weeks ago, but @infra-sig still has admin on that package.
> @infra-sig can probably be removed from that package.

Yeah. Done.

> Maybe it would also be worthwhile to triage/reassign bugs with the packages
> the @infra-sig maintains in the weekly infra meeting so all of the work
> doesn't fall on you? (I occasionally skim the meeting meeting minutes, but
> maybe I'll join one day if the scheduling works out!).

We could... we already spend a lot of time on tickets tho.
I suppose we could take our current schedule of doing one learning topic
and one ticket triage to 3: learning, then tickets, then bugs?

For incoming things we might be able to add them to the daily standup...
but I don't think we can get through backlog there.

kevin