Re: ocp4 and ipv6

On Tue, Jun 07, 2022 at 08:44:03AM -0400, Stephen Smoogen wrote:

> We had ipv6 twice in the IAD2 location but found that various Fedora
> utilities broke horribly during that time. We didn't have time to deal with
> those and get the move complete so we asked ipv6 to be turned off. The
> current problem is we were already in the red for ipv4 traffic on the
> firewall which was purchased. This one was much bigger than the one we had
> in PHX2 and was thought to be enough for our needs. However, we basically
> have filled that pipe. We could turn on the ipv6 stack but would probably
> see a degradation of services overall. The firewall to replace it has been
> purchased but is on a long wait queue to be put into replacement as other
> needs have been deemed higher urgency than that.

I've asked for current status on all this... it's not clear to me if
thats still the case (but it could well be! :)

> At this point, it is a matter of getting on the Change Control schedule for
> Red Hat IT to have our networks turn the process on. It would also help to
> have a general plan of action of how this would be done like:
> 1. Set up internal ipv6 for IAD2 networks.
> 2. Set up and test ipv6 firewalls and dualstacks on systems in IAD2.
> 3. Set up limited firewall traffic of ipv6 to public network
> 4. Roll out new firewall hardware to IAD2
> 5. Test infrastructure and add ipv6 advertisements to public network
> 6. ...
> 7. profit

Well, personally I'd like to only enable ipv6 on a small subset of
machines via static ips. The majority of our instances have 0 need for
ipv6. But of course that still depends on it being available...

kevin