Re: on rpms

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 11:20 PM Miroslav Suchý <msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dne 23. 05. 22 v 20:57 Kevin Fenzi napsal(a):
> > However, now a days we have a number of new apps that are deployed in
> > openshift and aren't using rpms, but pip or s2i or other things.
>
> Regarding pip applications - we have pyp2rpm and pyp2spec which can convert to rpm easily. And we have
>
>   https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/g/copr/PyPI/
>
> with about 70k packages.

The bigger problem is that those applications are *not* able to easily
be deployed outside of Fedora infrastructure. One consequence of
OpenShift based deployments is that it's become almost too easy to
assume nobody else would ever want to run that code. Noggin and Bodhi
both have had a number of code changes in the past couple of years
that have made it increasingly difficult to use outside of Fedora
deployments in their default code state. I've given up on Bodhi, but
I'm still trying to get Noggin into good shape.

I've been able to evaluate those issues by packaging them as RPMs,
because RPM packaging forces a total decoupling of development,
deployment, and configuration. None of that is true with our container
based deployments. They're not discoverable, and if you can find them,
they're not independently useful.

Because of this, it becomes hard for community growth around these projects.