on rpms

So, in the past we have always had a policy to package as rpms and get
into fedora/epel applications we deploy and are upstream for.

There were a number of good reasons for this:
* We deployed everything on vm's using rpm.
* Other users that wanted to reproduce our infrastructure could use the
rpms.
* It made us sure that the thing passed review and built on various
Fedoras with the versions of things there it depended on.

However, now a days we have a number of new apps that are deployed in
openshift and aren't using rpms, but pip or s2i or other things. For
these packaging them up as rpms becomes a burden with not too many
gains. ;(

So, I was thinking we should codify a new policy.
(To avoid confusion for application authors and others).

Something like:

Applications in Fedora Infrastructure may be deployed via non rpm
methods (as long as they obey licensing guidelines (
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Licensing )). For those
applications, creating and maintaining an rpm is optional.

Thoughts?

kevin