Re: Upcoming MirrorManager changes (removal of Internet2 support)

On Mon, 2022-05-23 at 12:40 +0200, Adrian Reber wrote:

> I will remove Internet2 support from MirrorManager in the next few
> weeks.
>
> The main reason is, that the source for the Internet2 routing tables
> does not exist any more: http://routes.net.internet2.edu/
>
> It changed a couple of years ago and it seems Fedora was one of the only
> users of that data. They fixed it for us, but the latest ticket I opened
> to access this information was closed with "This service was decomd".
>
> I do not think that the removal of Internet2 support for our users will
> be noticed at all. Removing Internet2 will remove some complexity from
> the code and using ASN and GeoIP should still provide a reasonably close
> mirror for most of out users.

Sounds like a really good plan to me, especially around removing complexity in the mirror selection. I cannot
think of any reason the removal should adversely affect users at this point since as you said, the routing
information is not exactly available anymore.

I would be interested if there are any mirror admins that are using Internet2 that would be able to comment on
the health of I2 in 2022.

> I will start to update the different components to not expose and rely
> on Internet2 information any more in the next couple of weeks.

Let me know if you need/want any help testing or working on the removal. I'm happy to assist however it would
be helpful.

--Neil