Re: automating SCM requests (again)

On Wed, Jan 05, 2022 at 03:14:17PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Okay, this is making me _very_ sure that we should automate these:
>
> https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/10441
>
> That's because even though a human is spending time running the script,
> there does not seem to be any opportunity for human intervention... this
> happened: https://pagure.io/releng/fedora-scm-requests/issue/39869

Yeah. ;(

So, releng has talked about automating this for a long while.
See https://pagure.io/releng/issue/9274

Long ago, a human was put in as the last line here to do quick checks of
things before packages were added in case there were problems. I've not
really processed them in a while (I did all of them for a few years a
while back though), but I fear the volume now is so high that the human
processing them (usually limb) has no time to really manually check
much.

Personally, I'd like to see if we can make branch requests just use
pagure-dist-git like orphaning/etc does. Just check that the user has
perms to do it and that the package isn't in RHEL for EPEL requests and
then just do it (or emit a message and have a toddler do it a few min
later or whatever).

New packages are harder. We need someplace for someone to request the
package (by rhbz #?), run all the checks we can/do already and then emit
a message and have a toddler process that. I don't know if it would make
sense for that to be on src.fedoraproject.org/pagure or somewhere else.

exceptions/errors could then be releng tickets (and we could try and
improve the normal flow to handle them).

Anyhow, I am all for automating this...

kevin