Re: Resources for a hosting an alternative Fedora buildroot

On 1/16/21 4:42 AM, Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
Hi, Tom,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 2:45 AM Tom Stellard <tstellar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I am considering making a proposal for an alternative buildroot (similar
to ELN) in Fedora, and I want to try to understand what Fedora resources
might be available for this.

My requirements are:

+ A koji server and builders for doing 'shadow' builds of ~2000 Fedora
packages.  'shadow' builds means that every time a build is made in the
official Fedora koji then one would be done for this alternative buildroot.

+ Builders for all architectures supported by Fedora.

+ Developer access to the koji server using Fedora kerberos credentials.

+ Permissions to create and modify tags on the koji server for at least
3 people.

+ A DNF repo generated from these package builds that is updated once
per day.

+ Jenkins server that can host a CI job that listens for Fedora builds
and submits builds to this alternative buildroot.

My questions are:

Do we have enough machine resources and people time to implement
something like this, and if not, how much additional resources would be
required?

I can not help with the Koji, but on the topic of Jenkins setup, I'd
like to mention that Fedora CI maintains two Jenkins instances, and
hosts various pipelines on them, including Rawhide Gating and ELN. And
we(as Fedora CI SIG) welcome community members to setup more pipelines
on those Jenkins instances if they help develop Fedora.

Every pipeline we run is a separate GitHub repository under the Fedora CI org:
   https://github.com/fedora-ci
Which allows us to have a shared ownership, code-review  and test
process and so on.

Thus you don't have to setup and maintain your own Jenkins system for
your project.

Ok, great.

How and where to implement this, e.g. can we use the staging koji server
or something else?

Can we build something that is generic enough, so that other people who
want to make similar proposals would be able to easily set up their own
alternative buildroot?

This is one of the declared goals of the ELN project - to not just
build the RHEL-like environment, but also to develop some tooling
which would allow anyone to build their own alternative buildroot. So
I would be interested in discussing this further.

At Devconf.cz 2021 there will be the ELN Meetup
https://devconfcz2021.sched.com/event/gmYF/fedora-eln-meetup where we
are going to brainstorm our next steps. And building the "alternative
buildroot toolbox" could be one of them.

Yes, I would be interested in discussing this further. I have in mind several potential use cases for alternative buildroots, and having some tooling around this would be useful.

-Tom

Thanks,
Tom