Re: Hosting Options for QA Projects

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 14:25:28 -0700
Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 03:04:51PM -0600, Tim Flink wrote:
> > From what I understand, communishift as it was originally planned is
> > not likely to be a thing going forward. We had been planning to use
> >

> Yeah, it's not really clear. It's complicated by the fact that the
> datacenter where it's at needs a networking revamp in order to bring
> it back up. :(
>
> > communishift to host a number of QA projects and we're looking for
> > new options going forward. Those projects are:
> >

> > Testdays [1] is an app that we use to help run test days. It used to
> > live on the old cloud and is currently hosted outside Fedora's
> > infra on a machine we have access to; the plan was to move it to
> > communishift once that was available.
> >
> > The packager dashboard [2] was recently announced for testing on
> > devel@. It and its backend service, oraculum, live on the same
> > external machine as the testdays app.
>
> I think both of the above are things that we could run in our prod/stg
> openshift instances under the 'we provide the platform, you handle the
> day to day app and development issues'.

That kind of a setup would work for us.

> I think both of these are pretty small resource wise too?

Testdays is very small, yes.

Oraculum, on the other hand, is less small because it's looking for and
storing a bunch of data. That being said, I'm not sure what you would
consider large.

> > We're also looking into a TCMS to replace our mediawiki-based setup
> > - this isn't an immediate need but our plan was to host test
> > instances on communishift for our evaluation.
> >

> > Do folks here have suggestions on what we could do about hosting for
> > projects like these?
>
> Thats harder, but I think if you narrowed it down to one or two and
> wanted to get wider testing with them, we could probibly set you up
> with some aws instances? This would be completely seperate from the
> rest of infra and you will be responsible for everything with them
> (configuration, updates, etc). But that might be fine for a short term
> testing thing.

At the moment, we're only looking at one option - kiwitcms [1].
Unfortunately, there isn't much out there that comes close to doing
what we need it to do.

[1] https://kiwitcms.org/

What would be the best way to go about requesting an AWS instance?
Infra ticket, I assume? Would the setup for the test instance need to
be in the ansible repo?

Thanks,

Tim