Re: What is our technical debt? (fedora integration service)

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 4:21 PM Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thursday, July 9, 2020 3:13:47 PM CEST Tomas Tomecek wrote:
> Do you expose some library which makes the conversion of various formats
> of events from various forges into uniformly looking events, like:
>
>     event_type: source_change
>     change:
>       old_code:
>         code_location: git
>         clone_url: <url>
>         committish: <sha>
>       new_code:
>         code_location: git
>         clone_url: <url>
>         committish: <sha>
>
> The format is to be discussed (with potential consumers, or anyone
> interested), but this is what we need on Copr side basically and I suppose
> that's something everyone else needs who wants to process the code change.
>
> I think we need a precisely defined set of events which is able to handle
> not only git locations, changes, change requests (it should be flexible
> enough to reference e.g. tarballs + patches, when we needed it in future).
>
> This is basically what we need on the "event reader" side.

This is really interesting. So far we've been only discussing
unification of webhook or message payloads on our side. All of this is
baked directly in packit-service's codebase [1] right now.

The biggest problem is that on github or gitlab, one needs to
explicitly install the app or integration so the downstream service
can receive the events. Exactly what github2fedmsg is supposed to do.

Our team should have quarterly planning in a month. Pavel, if this is
important to you, we can bring this up on the planning session and
start with the refactor/unification so that we can at least share the
code for parsing and processing of the event payloads.

Or we can set up a call and discuss directly so we all would
understand the requirements.

[1] https://github.com/packit-service/packit-service/blob/master/packit_service/service/events.py

Cheers,
Tomas